Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. The fact there will be cornbread dressing with gravy and pie with ice cream is only a small factor. A day dedicated to being thankful resonates with me.
Yes, I’m doubly thankful for a pecan pie (which I rarely if ever get) or berry pie and ice cream, because I’m not a fan of pumpkin pie.
But according to scripture, we are to “give thanks according to the commandment of David the man of God” (Nehemiah 12:24).
During this month of thanksgiving, we’ll be featuring a different scripture about giving thanks, being thankful and celebrating thanksgiving all month long. I hope you’ll check it out here.
The question I have is “How thankful am I?”
On a day when I’m not guaranteed my favorite meal and a wealth of dessert, am I still thankful? Are you?
Next week, I’m going to have some fun quoting a song and listing out my blessings. This week, I’m just going to give you a heads up about things we can be thankful for every day.
- There is clean air to breathe
- Jesus loves us enough to pay the debt of our sins
- God gives us another day to choose Him
- The sun rises and spills light and heat into our world causing everything to grow and flourish
- We are never alone if we have Jesus as our Savior (so give your loneliness to Him)
- We will never be separated from God if Jesus has saved us
- God collects our tears in a bottle (meaning He cares about our grief and pain)
- We can boldly go to the Lord with our requests
You can be thankful for these truths every day. In fact, it’s proven that your stress will be lower and your attitude will be brighter if you list three things you’re grateful for at the start of your day.
If you’re going through a rough patch, feel free to grab three from my list above. However, I promise that once you dedicate your mind to seeing things in the positive light of God’s amazing grace, you’ll have more personalized lists
Let’s take a minute to thank the Lord for his love, mercy, faithfulness, and forgiveness right now. I am so thankful for those things. Aren’t you?